Great Southwest Railroad
The Great Southwest Railroad was a terminal and switching company serving the Great Southwest Industrial District in Arlington and Grand Prairie, midway between Dallas and Fort Worth.
Its motive power over the years was a variety of EMD switchers that were acquired from the MP.
The company was chartered on May 7, 1957, and began operations over its 22 miles of track in May 1959. In December 1960 the Texas & Pacific and the Rock Island each purchased 45 percent of the Great Southwest stock from the Great Southwest Corporation, the railroad’s parent company. The MP acquired the Rock Island’s stake as a result of the bankruptcy and shut-down of the Rock Island in 1980.
The railroad retained its operational independence until 1987 when the Great Southwest was merged into the Union Pacific.